GOVERNMENT LOAN SCHEMES
About the Loan
Funded by the government and administered by DBS Bank, the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and Study Loan (SL) schemes will be extended to eligible subsidised Singapore Citizens (SC) and Singapore Permanent Residents (PR). They must be pursuing
MOE-subsidised diploma and degree courses in NAFA. The loan is interest-free during the student's course duration.
The loan principals for TFL and SL schemes are fully funded by MOE.Note:
The loan does not
include the payment of annual/miscellaneous fees.Eligibility Criteria:
Maximum Loan Quantum:
- Full-time Singapore Citizens (SC) and Singapore Permanent Residents (PR) undergraduate and diploma students studying in the MOE-subsidised undergraduate and diploma programs in NAFA are eligible to apply for the TFL and SL, subject to the maximum
- International Students (IS) are not eligible to apply.
- Students who are awarded fee subsidy or loan by an organisation registered with a government agency or have applied for the government TFL in full or a mixture of both, provided the total subsidy or loan is not below 75% of subsidised fees payable
(for diploma students) or 90% of subsidised SC fees payable (for undergraduates), shall be considered for the SL. The maximum limit of the SL is 10% of subsidised SC fees payable (for undergraduates) or 25% of subsidised fees payable (for diploma
students) plus a living allowance loan of $2,000 per annum (for diploma students) or $3,600 per annum (for undergraduates). GST on fees is not covered by the TFL and SL.
- Students who have obtained loans amounting to 100% of the subsidised tuition fees payable from either the CPF Education Scheme or a combination of the TFL and the CPF Education Scheme can borrow up to the maximum living allowance loan quantum only
under the SL Scheme.
- Students who are awarded the Mendaki fee subsidy or loan can borrow up to the maximum living allowance loan quantum under the SL Scheme only.
- Students holding scholarships that fully cover the tuition fees payable for the year will not be eligible.
- NAFA will exercise discretion on the quantum of the loan to be granted based on its assessment of the candidate’s needs for financial assistance.
Students can borrow the maximum loan quanta as follows:
||Up to 80%* or 90% of Subsidised SC fees
||Up to 10% or 20%* of Subsidised SC fees plus annual living allowance loan of $3,600.
||Up to 75% of Subsidised fees payable by SC/PR
||Up to 25% of Subsidised fees payable by SC/PR plus annual living allowance loan of $2,000.
*Students with PCI ≤ $950 are eligible for the interest-free SL. They are eligible to take up the maximum loan under TFL to cover up to 80% of subsidized SC fees and a corresponding SL to cover remaining 20% of subsidized SC fees.Administration of Loan:
DBS Bank will be handling the administration and disbursement of all Tuition Fee Loan and Study Loan Schemes at NAFA.Guarantor Requirements:
Criteria/Terms of Award:
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 60 years old.
- No income qualification will be stipulated.
- Must not be an undischarged bankrupt nor be a student pursuing full-time education.
- May not serve in this capacity for more than two (2) outstanding student loans, including this loan.
- Must be a Singapore citizen for an applicant who is a Singapore citizen.
- Can be either a Singapore citizen or a permanent resident for an applicant who is a Singapore permanent resident.
- There are no qualifying income criteria for the TFL.
- SL will be awarded on a means-tested (i.e. needs analysis) basis. A two-tier loan system for SC/PR for the SL scheme is as follows:
||Tier 1 (waiver of interest)
||Tier 2 (with interest)
||Gross monthly per capita household income (PCI)
||Gross monthly per capita household income (PCI)
|All MOE-subsidised courses
||> $950 - $2,700
Repayment of Loan:
- Loans are interest-bearing, except for SL for students with PCI ≤$950, where SL will be interest-free.
- Interest on the TFL and SL starts accruing upon graduation/withdrawal. Current interest is at 4.75% p.a (computed based on the average prime rates of the three local banks, namely DBS, OCBC and UOB). **Interest rate is subject to change.
- Interest will start accruing on the 1st day of the 4th month following graduation / withdrawal. For graduates / withdrawn students with remaining National Service (NS) obligations, the same interest commencement date will apply.
- Example of interest commencement date: If you have graduated in June, interest will commence on 1st October of the same year. If you have graduated in December, interest will commence on 1st April of the following year.
Maximum loan repayment period are as follows:
||Interest-bearing SL (Tier 2)
||Interest-free SL (Tier 1)
Bank Late Payment Charges:
- The repayment of the TFL and SL can be made either by a full-lump sum payment or by monthly instalments, with a minimum instalment repayment of $100 per month per loan.
- Repayments can commence 1 year (for TFL for diploma students) or 2 years (for TFL for undergraduate students) and 6 months (for SL) after graduation. During this grace period, standard interest will apply, but no late payment interest will be charged.
- For withdrawn students, their loans become due for repayment in full immediately. However, they can request to arrange for monthly repayment instalment plan.
Penalty interest will be levied at the rate of 1% per month on instalments in arrears.Application Details:
- Application Period
There are 2 application period during the year:
- 1 May - 15 Jun
- 1 Nov - 31 Dec (if you’ve missed the first application period)
Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Application Submission
- All students who wish to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) are required to complete the TFL application form. Please click here to access the online application form. Please also view the Terms and Conditions here.
- All students who wish to apply for the Study Loan (SL) are required to complete the SL application form. Please click here to access the online application form and email completed form to Office of Student Care at [email protected]. Please also view the Terms and Conditions here.
- For TFL application, students and their guarantors are required to visit DBS Raffles Place Branch at 22 Malacca St #01-00 RB Capital Building, Singapore 048980 with:
- The completed TFL Application Form.
- A copy of the Letter of Offer for Admission to NAFA (for freshmen) or a photocopy of the student card (for students currently enrolled in NAFA).
- Applicant’s identity card / valid passport (for Permanent Residents, passport must be valid for no less than 6 months at the time of application).
- Guarantor’s identity card / valid passport (for Permanent Residents, passport must be valid for no less than 6 months at the time of application).
Terms and conditions apply, please refer to the DBS website
for more information.
To find out more about the MOE Tuition Fee Loan Scheme,
please refer to: https://tgonline.moe.gov.sgFurther Enquiries:
Finance Office ([email protected]
) Tel: 6512 4036
Bank: DBS Bank Ltd Tel: 6333 0033