The Specialist Diploma in Orchestral Conducting course aims to provide professional development opportunities to conductors working with orchestras, symphonic wind bands, or other instrumental ensembles in various professional contexts.
This course will develop and enhance conducting techniques, broaden repertoire knowledge, and refine the interpretational abilities of musicians working with orchestras or other instrumental ensembles.
The Specialist Diploma is taught in 2 semesters. Each semester consists of four modules:
- Principles of Conducting 1 & 2
- Orchestral Repertoire and Analysis 1& 2
- Score Reading and Musicianship Skills 1 & 2
- Instrumentation of the Orchestra 1 & 2
The curriculum is practice-led and industry-focused, where students are given opportunities to apply acquired knowledge in authentic professional environments, such as podium time to lead the NAFA Orchestra in rehearsals.
- Demonstrate artistic expression in conducting through technical competence and stylistic understanding
- Integrate musical ideas to communicate the creative aspects of music making
- Curate opportunities for group performance through regular ensemble experiences